We live in Vacaville, CA and absolutely love it! Sam and I have been married for 13 years and have 4 awesome kids ages 12-6 years old. Sam is a State Farm Insurance and Financial Services Agent and has been in his Agency in Fairfield, CA since Sept. 2006. Steph is a busy Mom and a natural light photographer specializing in family and children's portraiture.

Family Pictures

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Savannah...

On Monday, July 7th, Savannah had a well child visit. I haven't taken her in two years so I figured it was probably time. I did warn her that she would need the second chicken pox vaccine, so she was prepared for that. Things were going along just fine until the doctor asked " Does she have a heart murmur?" Of course my stomach just flipped and I said "not that I'm aware of." She got very serious and listened to Savannah's heart a long time and had her change her position a few times to listen. At a moment like this you always think of all the worst possible things and I fought to keep myself calm! The doctor then went to get another pediatrician to listen to her heart. They were both saying things like "unusual, squeaky, and that's a pretty good one". These aren't the things a mother wants to hear. They then proceeded to tell me the different tests they recommended for Savannah and wanted to start with an EKG which I could do in the same building we were in. The other tests I would have to go to Cordelia or Sacramento. I was trying to mentally prepare myself for all this.

So we went to the second floor to get the EKG. I was definitely fighting back tears and trying to keep myself together for Savannah because I didn't want her to worry. While we were waiting, I called Sam, who was watching the other 3 at home, to fill him in on what was going on. I also tried to lighten the mood by telling Savannah about my EKG experience. It was 4 years ago and all they do is stick some suction cups on ya' and hook up some wires. It only lasts a few minutes. She was embarrassed that they have to go on your chest and then I told her she was lucky that she gets a women. I had a Man and I'm a grown women! She got my point and laughed. So we went in and got the EKG and then we had to take it back up to the pediatrician to read it. They also send it to the cardiologist. The doctor finally came in and told us that Savannah's EKG was NORMAL! I was sooo relieved. I guess the EKG will pick up major things like if her heart was working harder in certain areas than others. She said that they were going to send it to the cardiologist and that they would call me in a few days. Our doctor thinks it is probably a blood vessel making the noise. So, I left the office relieved that it is probably nothing major but still not 100% satisfied that she is OK.
Today July 14th, I got a call from the cardiologist's office in Sacramento to set up an appointment for Savannah to get an Echo cardiogram. He is trying to get us into a clinic here in Vacaville so we don't have to drive so far. I'm not sure what this test does so I'll have to do more research online. Hopefully we can get it done this week before I go to Utah next week (by MYSELF) for a wedding! I'll keep you posted on what happens. Keep Savannah in your prayers...

3 comments:

The Graffs said...

Thats so scary! We will definetaly be praying for her! Good luck!

Val said...

It is hard being the Mom when you don't get to be in control of the situation. It is always times like these that you learn to cherish the small things in life. Savannah will be in our prayers, I am sure everything will be o.k.

Unknown said...

I went through a similar experience a few years ago myself. They sent me for all these tests only to finally say your fine...your heart just has an extra beat but, it isn't doing you any harm. Gosh it was so stressful! I could only imagine if I had to go through it with a child. We will keep her in our prayers but, I'm confident she will have a good outcome!