We live in Vacaville, CA and absolutely love it! Sam and I have been married for 13 years and have 4 awesome kids ages 12-6 years old. Sam is a State Farm Insurance and Financial Services Agent and has been in his Agency in Fairfield, CA since Sept. 2006. Steph is a busy Mom and a natural light photographer specializing in family and children's portraiture.

Family Pictures

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Cute Antique Welcome Sign!

This is a little project I did yesterday and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out! I love wall signs and I'm getting quite the collection around my house, but I love them! Since all my other signs have the same look, I wanted to try something different. My cute friend in Georgia sent me the WELCOME vinyl lettering( she's an Uppercase Living demonstrator). So I went to Michaels and found the wood board and I got the DecoArt Weathered Wood Crackling Medium and FolkArt acrylic paint in Warm White and Pure Black. I used a 2" foam brush.
1. First I gave the board a light sanding and then painted the inside with a coat of warm white. I let it dry 1 Hr.
2. Next I painted a coat of the weathered wood over the white. If it is a little uneven it will make the crackling uneven, which I like. I let it completely dry over night because I was busy, but it does need to be pretty dry before the next step.
3. Next I painted a coat of the black over the weathered wood. I made sure there was plenty of paint on the brush. This process is a little tricky. You need to work fast and Don't reapply to an area that has been painted. It will mess up the crackling! Then I painted the sides black and let dry completely.
4. Then I rubbed the lettering to make sure it was stuck down good to the side it needs to be on when you peel the paper off the lettering to apply it to the surface, if that makes sense.
5. Next you line up your letters and press hard to make sure they're stuck down good! Then carefully pull the paper off and Voila your done! You could spray some sealer, but I didn't have any.
It really isn't hard, if you want some vinyl lettering to make a sign or to place directly onto your walls check out my friends website!www.uppercaseliving.com
Click on: "Customer Login"
Enter her demonstrator #: 458986
Enter token: Johnson
Follow the login instructions.
Here you can view a catalog, or design your own expression, or quote!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug on my business! I will have to go to Michaels for a board. I avoid Michaels with my 3 little ones because the baskets are too small and the aisles are too narrow for them to grab stuff! But, you have inspired me to do something different. I will send you a catalog to pass around. It doesn't take much and you can get some freebies!

Brooke said...

That is super cute! I am impressed. I'd like to get some vinyl lettering, it sounds so cool! I love your new header by the way. I haven't quite figured that out yet.